Monday, August 08, 2005

Complete love and trust for the one who leads

Photo: Shaykh Abdallah Al-Qadi, Shaykh Hamza Yusuf and Shaykh Mohammad Al-Yaqoubi at the khatm of the Shama'il. © Fareena Alam. Please do not re-use without permission and proper credit.

What Did You Learn? A question I have been asked several times since returning.

I find myself in a strange place, unable in many instances to speak at all amidst the usual daily chatter. I cannot tell more than two people at one time of my journey, for it is an intimate tale which must be told in a way that honors that truth.

But the answer to the question is always the same. I came to love our Prophet (صلي الله عليه و سلم) as I never have before, and I came to know why we must love him. I know that I certainly had to be in Madinah in order to know the Prophet (صلي الله عليه و سلم) deeply, to connect with him in the depths of my soul. For it is a stubborn soul, and so it had to be at the source in order to be convinced of certain realities.

By the Mercy of Allah, I had already been prepared by being in the company of a beautiful Shaykh, who in his character is a reflection of our Prophet (صلي الله عليه و سلم). This companionship has taught me the essence of the Sunnah as I did not understand it before. My love of my Shaykh was secure before I stepped foot on any airplane, and from that place I was able to be grounded well in the reality which was and is Madinah.

I have returned to tell the people that I know the Prophet (صلي الله عليه و سلم) is alive in his grave, that his very essence penetrates all of Madinah, that it penetrated all of us, and that I felt it under my bare feet as I walked the streets. And through coming to know him in this way, I have come to love him more that anyone on this earth, and to love Allah even more for being so merciful to have given us the man as our Prophet (صلي الله عليه و سلم).

Not only do I love him, but I trust him (صلي الله عليه و سلم). Even in this time, he (صلي الله عليه و سلم) leads the way on the path to Allah for us all. I knew I could entrust my heart to him (صلي الله عليه و سلم) on that path, and that is no minor act. Through this I came to know the why of it - why we must have that love and trust.

The Path to Allah is one which is not easy. Most of us need a great deal of purification as we travel, and Allah often brings about that purification through trial and tribulation. It is a difficult road at times, so difficult sometimes that we might be tempted to give up. To walk straight, Allah has sent us a hand to hold on to, the hand of our Prophet (صلي الله عليه و سلم). But the only way we will never let go of that hand, no matter what trial or difficulty may come, is through complete love and trust for the one who leads. Then we may stay with the journey through all that is difficult, to that which is full of bliss and ease, and on to the next lesson on the road, whatever it may be.

I knew when my heart was firm in its love and trust of our Prophet (صلي الله عليه و سلم) that I would be better able to walk without wavering, insha’Allah. This was my greatest lesson.

I did not leave any part of my soul in Madinah, for I knew it was Allah’s decree that I would return to this place. Instead, I decided I would bring it home with me, to share as best I can. The time-space continuum means little to me now, for I know Allah can bring me whatever I need wherever I may be, and that I can be in the companionship of our Prophet (صلي الله عليه و سلم) in any place. 1400 years seems little, for I know it is possible to go beyond the restrictions of time and place.

I reside here in America filled with love, and hope, and fear that I will never prove myself deserving of such a blessing. May Allah help us all prove ourselves deserving of what we received, and to only move on a path which brings us nearer to Him.

- Munira von Briesen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home