Monday, July 18, 2005

Talking to the Prophet (صلي الله عليه و سلم)


Photo: Masjid Qiblatayn where the Prophet (saw) was ordered, mid-prayer, to shift the direction of prayer from Jerusalem to Makkah. © Fareena Alam. Please do not re-use without permission and proper credit.


Until three hours before the flight to Madinah, I was on my computer trying to meet a deadline. My husband did my packing and we flew out the door, rushing to meet the rest of the British group at Heathrow airport. As is evident, I hardly prepared for this journey. I did not get a chance to read the Seerah again, nor engage in increased salawat on the Prophet (صلي الله عليه و سلم).

In retrospect, not being prepared isn't all that bad. I came with no particular expectations and I wasn't comparing my experience with someone else's.

I realise now that in Madinah, I am in the process of finding myself. My relationship with God. My relationship with the best of creation (صلي الله عليه و سلم) with whom most of us don't have nearly the close relationship we should have.

What gave me profound guidance is the one thing my husband advised:

"When you get there, spend as much time as possible confiding in the Prophet (صلي الله عليه و سلم). Talk to him like he's your best friend. Tell him everything...all your hopes, your fears, the things you did, the things you did not do."

I know I am not alone when I say that in my quietest, loneliest moments I have realised that no matter how much other people love you - and many of us are infinitely blessed with loved ones, Alhamdulillah, I know there is no truer friend than Allah and His Messenger (صلي الله عليه و سلم). They know your inner soul. They will not judge your intentions. They will not betray your best interest.

The shuyukh have strongly advised against reading off books here when making dua, but rather to speak from the heart. It's harder than it sounds. Everything sounds cheesy but you get on with it.

- f -

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, 20 July, 2005, Blogger Siddiq said...

Peace,

Alhamdulillah, I am at this moment wishing I there with you. I am in Bolton, UK but thinking of Madinah where I was fortunate to visit twice. Please make dua that may Allah grant all of us the visit to The Beloved of Allah (Peace and Blessings Upon Him) and clean our hearts.

Finally, Please Send my Peace and Blessings upon The Beloved of Allah (Peace and Blessings Upon Him) if you can.

Take Care,
Peace.
br Siddiq

 

Post a Comment

<< Home