Saturday, July 16, 2005

Forty steps to jannah

Photo: Street vendor selling miswaks and other knick knacks outside the Prophet's Mosque. © Fareena Alam. Please do not re-use without permission and proper credit.

They have postponed the all-day trip to the site where the Battle of Badr took place. Most Rihla participants are trying to complete the forty consecutive prayers at the Masjid-in-Nabi. It is said that the hellfire will not touch those who are able to pray forty consecutive prayers in congregation (from the first rak’aat) at the Prophet’s (صلي الله عليه و سلم) mosque.

I had never heard of this before until a briefing last week when a few participants raised concerns that the long trip to and from Badr would break their consecutive forty because we wouldn’t be back in time for the next prayer.

I made my intention started my forty that evening with Isha.

It’s been such good training. It has taught me to be vigilant about prayer times, to pray every prayer at the mosque, to catch the congregational prayer from the first rakaat, if not sit there and wait well before the adhan or iqama.

I struggle with all of the above back home. It really isn’t that difficult if I put my mind to it. Freedom from the hellfire is enough motivation to get my priorities straight. In the presence of the Prophet (صلي الله عليه و سلم) the afterlife seems more stark, more urgent…but also more hopeful.

Prophet Muhammad (صلي الله عليه و سلم) was sent as a mercy to us. Allah has promised that He will not abandon those who love and continually say salaams upon His beloved Messenger (صلي الله عليه و سلم).

If the Badr trip hadn’t been postponed to allow eight clear days for everyone before we leave for Makkah, I would have been willing to skip the trip altogether (as much as I want to go).

- f -

2 Comments:

At Sunday, 17 July, 2005, Blogger Nazim Mangera said...

Jazakumullah for your inspiring updates. Brings back many fond memories. When I was at Hajj this year, I was sitting in the Masjid Nabawi after Asar prayer listening to a scholar delivering a speech in Arabic. The scholar went onto mention that that Hadith about the 40 prayers is not authentic and it should not be acted upon and he went onto say that it's a Bidah and stuff like that. Every second thing is Bidah to the new generation of Saudi Scholars. :(

Btw...Don't forget to check out the various libraries in the Masjid Nabawi itself. They have many rare manuscripts in those libraries. They don't publicize the libraries much because of crowd control problems and stuff like that. Just ask one of the many Asian workers at the Masjid (if you are Asian and you can speak Urdu) and they will tell you where the libraries are.

Also, if you do remember, please convey my Salams to my beloved Prophet Muhammad Sallallahu Alaye Wasallam.

 
At Sunday, 17 July, 2005, Blogger Veiled Knight said...

Asalamualaikum wa rahmatullah, subhan'Allah may Allah reward you for your efforts, sister please keep us all in your duaas, and if you remember please convey my salams to Habibullah Sal'Allahualihiwasalam, JazakiAllahkhair.
Walaikumasalam wa rahmatullah

 

Post a Comment

<< Home