Thursday, July 14, 2005

Janazas in Jannah

Photo: A model of Madinah as it was 100 yrs ago, at a local research centre we visited with Shaykh Abdallah Al-Qadi. © Fareena Alam. Please do not re-use without permission and proper credit.

Not a single person died in Madinah last night.

I know this because there was no Janazah prayer at fajr. All who die within the boundaries of this blessed city are prayed over in the mosque of RasulAllah (صلي الله عليه و سلم) and their bodies then whisked away to be buried at Janat ul-Baqi’. There, in the earth amongst the Companions, the Umm al-Mumineen, ‘Awliya and righteous people, I can only imagine what kind of radiant grave awaits them.

The Blessed Prophet (صلي الله عليه و سلم) has said of Baqi’, “Do you see this cemetery? Allah will resurrect seventy thousand from it on Resurrection Day, [their faces] like the moon on the night when it is full, who shall enter the Garden without prior judgement.”

The people of Baqi’ will be the first to be resurrected after RasulAllah (صلي الله عليه و سلم), Abu Bakr and Umar - their place in Paradise guaranteed.

People are known by their end, and what a blessing to end in Madinah. I pondered this as I made my way to the Rawda – that piece of heaven on earth – and as I prayed a quick two rakat, squished and stepped upon, I was grasped with fear that that moment was the only part of Paradise I would ever know.

Malik

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home