Thursday, August 11, 2005

Date Palms: "Words have all but left me..."

© Fareena Alam. Please do not re-use without permission and proper credit.

Words have all but left me

there is nothing more to say
I’m one of the broken-hearted
who was once so far astray

With hardened heart and lost soul
by Allah’s invitation I did arrive
to the land of my Beloved
where I truly became alive

To the city of Medinah
I came with nothing to share
only tears could I shed
and my lonely soul did I bare

My heart was cracked open
as my Beloved came to me
through the light of Shaykh Ya’qubi
my eyes began to see

The palms pregnant with dates
gave life to us all
nourishing minds and bodies
when upon us exhaustion would fall

Our beloved shuyukh
so patient and kind
transported us with love
beyond all space and time

The kindness of those
whom I was honored to know
have planted seeds of love
for my heart to nourish and grow

Never shall I be worthy
of this journey I have made
my Beloved called me to Him
for this my life I would gladly trade

This servant had nothing
to offer her Master
other than a broken heart
and a longing for the hereafter

May Allah help us all
as we must wade through this life
continuing to struggle
with our nufs’ bitter strife

This sweet sadness I feel
and the longing of my heart
leaves me alone with the despair
of wanting never to be apart

May we forever keep our vow
which will never grow old
if on the sirat should we falter
that there may be a hand to hold
- Shannon Dwyer (Umm Iman)

صلي الله عليه و سلم

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home